EMRS Research – Privacy & Data Policy
What personal data we collect
and why we collect it
1. Introduction: Enterprise Marketing & Research Services Pty Ltd (ABN – 29 009 546 561) has three employees who are current members of the Australian Market and Social Research Society and operates within the AMSRS Code of Professional Behaviour to ensure all research projects undertaken are done so while respecting and upholding the rights of all research participants and clients under The Australian Privacy Principles, which are contained in the Privacy Act 1988.
2. Collecting Personal Information: EMRS collects various personal information from research participants depending on the specific research project we are conducting. These details are not limited to, but may contain name, age, income details, occupation, and gender. When providing this personal information, research participants will have the option of remaining anonymous. However, in certain circumstances, such as where personal contact details are provided by a third party, or where the research data itself may potentially allow for identification, this may not be practicable.
Depending on the nature of the research we conduct, we may also collect sensitive information from research participants that may include details about race, ethnicity and various health-related information. Such information would only be collected and held if it is directly relevant or necessary for the research project concerned and after gaining the prior consent of participants in the research.
3. Types of Personal Information Collected and Stored: EMRS will typically collect personal information from respondents directly as they participate in our research, whether it be face-to-face, via telephone, or when doing an online survey. Additionally, we may also collect personal information about research participants from third parties, including organisations that require us to contact their customer or member base. If so, this will be made clear to the research participants as soon as is reasonably possible, along with how this information was obtained.
EMRS will not disclose any personally identifiable information we collect from research participants unless we have their express prior consent and will only report the information provided in an aggregate form that will not personally identify them. We will not disclose any personal information or personally identifiable research information to a third party for a purpose other than conducting our research, unless we have the express prior consent of participants or are required to do so by Australian law or court/tribunal order.
5. Request to Access or Amend Personal Information: As a willing research participant, an individual has the right to request access to any personal information provided to us and that we hold about them. This information can be requested by contacting the Privacy Officer via the contact details provided in this Policy. Where we hold such information that research participants are entitled to access, we will respond to such a request in a reasonable time and endeavour to provide a range of suitable choices as to how access can be provided.
If at any time a research participant believes that personal information we hold about them is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then they may request an amendment of it and we will either amend the information or make a record of the attempt to amend such details.
6. Storage and Destroying Personal Information: EMRS will destroy or de-identify the personal information provided by research participants as soon as practicable, once it is no longer needed for the research purpose for which it was collected. However, we may in certain circumstances be required by law to retain personal information after our research has been completed. In this case, the personal information will continue to be protected in accordance with this Policy. If we destroy personal information we will do so by taking reasonable steps and using up-to-date techniques and processes.
7. Complaints & Queries: EMRS treats all complaints or queries regarding privacy and the AMSRS code seriously and will investigate with due diligence to ensure the matter is resolved appropriately to the satisfaction of all parties. To lodge a complaint or request further information, please use the following contact details.
Samuel Paske (Privacy Officer)
Post: PO Box 402, Moonah, Tasmania, 7009
Phone: (03) 6211 1222
We will respond and advise whether we agree with your complaint or not. If we do not agree, we will provide reasons. If we do agree, we will advise what (if any) action we consider it appropriate to take in response.
If research participants are still not satisfied, then we suggest they contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner using the following details.
Phone: 1300 363 992
Post: GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax: (02) 9284 9666
This policy is effective from January 10th 2017. However EMRS may alter this policy should circumstances require us to do so.
8. Useful Links:
AMSRS Code of Professional Behaviour: http://www.amsrs.com.au/professional-standards/code-of-professional-behaviour